OPEN POSITION: DIGITAL COMMS DIRECTOR
350 Seattle – Digital & Communications Director
External job title: Digital & Communications Director | Internal job title: Digital & Communications Director , Staff Collective member
Reports to: Executive Director | Effective date: 02/1/2023
Job Summary: The Digital & Comms Director is responsible for maintaining and growing 350 Seattle’s online and media presence, to support
- strategic communications for 350 Seattle campaigns
- base-building & new member recruitment
This is a hybrid digital and traditional communications position. Working closely with the Campaigns Co-Directors and Executive Director, this position uses social media, app-based communications, targeted email and media skills to engage 350 Seattle’s members, donors and the broader community. Responsibilities include managing our website, email and social media platforms; collaborating on communications for 350 Seattle campaigns and fundraising efforts; and developing digital strategies to tell our story, grow our grassroots base, and strategically amplify our organizing and power.
About 350 Seattle:
350 Seattle works toward climate justice by organizing people to make deep system change: resisting fossil fuels; building momentum for healthy alternatives; and fostering resilient, just, and welcoming communities. While we are affiliated with the global 350.org, 350 Seattle is an independent organization that focuses on local campaigns and building the climate justice movement in the Pacific Northwest.
We are in a moment of growth and transition and this job reflects what we anticipate what org needs will be. We will work to adapt the work plan to reflect the orgs needs and the applicant’s experience.
We come together in this work out of deep love for people and the planet. In that spirit, we strive to approach the work and each other with commitment, compassion, and humility. How we work together shapes the world we’re building: read our Points of Unity here.
Note: Please apply if you feel you can proficiently carry out at least 2/3 of these job responsibilities
Use digital tools to create a clear, consistent org narrative; strategically amplify 350 Seattle campaigns; and recruit new supporters into 350 Seattle’s relational organizing pathways
- Draft communications to be shared with our email supporter list
- Develop creative digital strategies to grow and engage 350 Seattle supporter base
- Write copy for social media posts and frame content for different platforms based on audience and tone
- Manage 350 Seattle’s texting tools, supporting volunteers to regularly send out texts to 350 Seattle supporters
- Manage and regularly update the 350 Seattle website, ensuring that information about our campaigns, fundraising and volunteer opportunities is kept up-to-date
- Use EveryAction to track and manage our engagement with 350 Seattle supporters and active volunteers
Create and lead on a communications strategy for 350 Seattle that amplifies our organizing, builds our organization’s profile in the local and national climate movement, and puts pressure on decision-makers at key campaign moments
- Work closely with campaigns co directors to create narrative strategy and comms plans for our campaigns
- Create and amplify strategic communications for key campaign moments, including press releases, op-eds, blogs and content for social media
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and national media outlets; do press turnout for actions
- Proactively pitch stories and place op-eds that highlight our work
- Support volunteer organizers to learn and lead on comms tactics, while being responsible for overall implementation and success of comms plan
- Lead media trainings for 350 Seattle members, to develop key campaign messengers and skill up volunteer organizers
Broader Staff responsibilities: 20%
- Ensure that 350 Seattle’s Equity & Inclusion goals are advanced throughout all internal and external communications
- Participate in staff meetings, internal training, mandatory all-staff meetings, strategic planning etc.
- Support “all hands on deck” organizational requests, including mobilization support, donor outreach, phonebanking, and other activities.
- 3-4 years creating and implementing communications strategies
- 2 years experience working on grassroots campaigns for climate, economic, racial or social justice
- 2 years experience managing organizational communications in a way that’s responsive and accountable to coalition and/or community partners
- 1 year experience leading digital communications and managing social media channels
- 350 Seattle uses Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, but experience with all of these platforms is not required.
- 1 year experience working with CRM databases and mobilization tools.
- 350 Seattle uses EveryAction, but experience with this specific database is not required.
- Strong written communication skills for different audiences (i.e. mass emails, press releases, fundraising, social media)
- Demonstrated experience with anti-racist and/or cross-class organizing, or experience supporting an organization through culture change towards anti-oppression organizing
- Experience coaching and supporting people with very different experience levels, learning styles, and communication styles.
- Experience and ease discussing climate justice and our mission with a wide variety of people
- Willingness to learn new technology
- Team player – cooperative, communicative, and willing to support fellow team members
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage own workload
In addition, we ask that all Staff Collective members:
- Be based in the Seattle area
- Be experienced in transformative social change work and deeply committed to climate justice, social justice, and anti-racism principles.
- Have a strong commitment to integrity, transparency and democratic process
- Be committed to a high level of accountability to the collective as well as personal growth and development
- Have familiarity/experience with and be comfortable working in a collective structure (a plus)
Compensation and Benefits:
The Communications & Digital Director’s annual salary is set at $80,000. All full-time exempt staff are offered 100% individual Gold plan health insurance policies (medical / dental / vision), a life insurance policy, unlimited paid time off with a min 30 days off per year and retirement benefits with a 2% employer contribution.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
350 Seattle has a transit accessible and physically accessible office/community space; employees can choose to work from home or at the office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to read, speak, and use a computer keyboard and monitor. This position requires occasional travel to meetings and conferences. Some evening meetings and/or weekend events will be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 1-2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. We suggest including writing samples that demonstrate your experience to meet the qualifications above (i.e. a press release; a mass email for mobilizing or organizing; or a roundup of social media posts for a campaign; website you’ve developed; social media pages that you administer, etc.) Candidates that advance to the final round of interviews will be asked to do a brief assessment: this will be compensated.
If you have access needs and would like to request accommodations during the interview process, please let us know in your application email. We would be happy to work with you!
350 Seattle is committed to being a collaborative group that values a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do because we know this allows the movement to be as strong as it can be. People of color, and of all genders, sexualities, ethnicities, and abilities, and particularly members of communities on the frontlines of climate change, are welcome and encouraged to apply.