Puget Sound Energy is currently building an 8 million gallon liquified “natural” gas (LNG) facility at the Port of Tacoma and in violation of Puyallup treaty rights and without all their permits. If completed, this facility would lock us into decades of fossil fuel use, threaten local health and safety, and put huge financial burden on PSE ratepayers who will only see a fraction of the benefit.
Help keep fracked gas out of WA! Three things you can do right now:
- A.C.T. now to support legal challenges to the Tacoma LNG! – Donate at CleanerTacoma.org
- Call Dept of Ecology Director Bellon (360)-407-6000. Sample script: “Please protect our communities, our climate, and our environment by rescinding the 401 permit for the Tacoma LNG facility, and take over the permitting process to ensure accurate environmental assessments. Fracked gas is dirty and dangerous!”
- Send Gov Inslee a letter to make sure he knows that “build first, ask questions later” is not acceptable in WA state! Honor the Puyallup Tribe’s sovereignty & the Medicine Creek Treaty by stopping construction of the proposed Tacoma LNG fracked gas project. No permit? No Consent?…No Construction!
No Clean Air permit for fracked gas!
On July 22nd, the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency issued a preliminary determination on the last remaining permit for PSE’s proposed LNG project; after a comment period and public hearing, they intend to issue the permit.
Comments can be submitted now through September 9th to:
Ralph Munoz, Engineer
Mail: 1904 3rd Ave, Suite 105, Seattle, WA 98101
Please help stop this project by showing up at the Public Hearing on Tuesday August 27th at the Rialto Theatre in Tacoma!
Comments taken between 2pm-5pm, and again from 6:30pm-10pm
During the break, join us for a free screening of Native Daily Network’s documentary Ancestral Waters, which chronicles the LNG fight from an indigenous perspective, showing at Urban Grace Church at 5pm.
The Puyallup Tribe, activists, community members, health professionals and scientists weren’t the only ones that found major faults with the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)—other critics included the Attorney General’s office and Department of Ecology. This article by Native Daily Network highlights comments found in a public records request, including the AG’s office calling parts of the draft “fictional”. Whoa!
- Sign our petition calling on the City of Tacoma to order an additional study about the safety impacts of this project.
The city of Tacoma, as lead agency for the project, needs to put the interests of the public ahead of corporate cooperation. The Puyallup Tribe formally provided evidence to the city that a SEIS was needed to address safety, environmental and legal concerns. This court testimony by Tarika Powell of Sightline Institute explains why all of the project’s review processes have been totally inadequate thus far.
- Sign our petition to stop PSE from building this toxic project with ratepayers money – when they won’t see 98% of the benefits.
No public funds should be spent on Puget Sound Energy’s proposed LNG fracked gas project. The majority of this new fossil fuel infrastructure will be used to sell gas for corporate profit yet it will be PSE residential customers paying for the construction with higher monthly bills. Currently, while receiving less than 2% of the facility’s use, we will foot 43% of the bill!
350 Tacoma is one of the many community organizations leading on this fight! Check out their No LNG page for an in-depth explanation of the project, articles, videos and more!
SIGN UP FOR MORE INFO:
While we are waiting to hear back about the clean air permit, we continue to use lots of different strategies to pressure decision-making agencies, build public awareness, and support Puyallup treaty rights…